Paris handmade Pearl and Crystal Earrings on Silver

Friday 4 February 2011

Fashion and jewellery

One of the things I am often asked is 'how did you get into jewellery making', well it was a bit of a journey, and something of a mistake, that is a mistake in that it was not my intention to pursue this route at all.  however, I started making table cloths which then led to cloths with novelty things on like Christmas trees with real minature baubles etc.  this led to me developing an interest in beads and all things beady!  Big mistake, once you're hooked that's it.

I then discovered I had a 'quite a talent' for jewellery making and off it went.  What it also meant was that I discovered my own style.   So much jewellery is large and chunky, and that is just not me.  I'm far too small boned, in spite of my current size, to be able to wear chunky jewellery, so I concentrated on delicate designs which would suit the smaller, slimmer lady. 

Also, I am not a dedicated follower of fashion... never have been.  That is not to say I don't like it, but I'm no slave to what others seem to think I should wear. 

I also believe that what you wear on your wedding day, should not only be comfortable, but also unique to you hence the bespoke/commissions part of the business was born.  The number of commissions has risen, and has incorporated cheaper end pendants, with sentimental value, nestling among Swarovski pearls and crystal rondelles, to pieces of lave retrieved from a beach in Iceland!  Sounds horrible? actually it was stunning, and the chap who commissioned it said it all by saying 'WOW!' upon opening the box.  very satisfying indeed.

my Master's degree in Victorian Literature and Culture has also increased my interest of late, in Victorian style jewellery.  I've yet to master the jewellery making as well as I have mastered the literature etc. but I will get there.  In the meantime, I continue to make what is, I hope, gorgeous jewellery, for those ladies who appreciate the finer side of bodily adornment!

No comments:

Post a Comment